We are heading for the conclusion of our SQA Prelim Exams for S4-6. Pupils will receive their results next week. We will be working hard to support pupils attain the best possible results that they can as we head towards the final push for exam candidates.
Our attainment in the school is on an upward trend. We will again be supporting that this year with our Easter school – details to follow.
Our school Facebook account is how we share current news about the school. Please “like” to receive our feed:
At the recent Parent Council various early plans for a new £7.5 million extension were shared and discussed. This is an exciting project and we will ensure that Charleston Academy gets a building that will support learners over the coming years. A key priority for the new building is a new Science department.
The school has a First Aider, but no facilities for sick children. We have had a number of children who have been unwell prior to leaving for school. It is important that sick children are not sent to school because other children with underlying health issues are vulnerable.
Mairi Sutherland has worked in the school for many years and is our Faculty Head of Science post holder. Mairi is now Acting Head Teacher at Kilchuimen Academy. The Faculty Head of Science post will be advertised nationally.
Shaun Foster (Biology) has been appointed Acting Depute Head at Kilchuimen Academy until the end of June 2020. We will be making arrangements to cover his classes during this period.
We wish them all the best in their new roles.
Curriculum Consultation with parents – 16th January 2020:
We invited all parents to a consultation regarding the curriculum now and in the coming years. We met a number of parents and a summary of that meeting is below:
· Parents were supportive of the changes we have made this year and understanding of the reasons for the changes.
· They supported choice for languages in S3. Also, a major/minor choice in S1/2.
· They are keen we develop Spanish as an option in the coming years.
· They liked the S4 HE intensive option and would like to see similar from Technical, possibly construction related.
· They feel that for the future we should be looking more to develop courses relating to sustainability, health care, and construction.
· Skills are important. Work related learning is important and valued by them.
· Pathways for learners from Charleston should be clearer. In session 2020-21 a group of S6 pupils are developing a “My Story” webpage about former pupils and their learning/employment journeys.
· Independent learning was viewed as important for school and later life. A need to develop study strategies/homework at an early stage was identified.
· A recognition that extra-curricular activities support the development of skills for life and work.
As our roll rises there in scope to be more creative with the subjects we offer and enhance our curriculum in this way. We will continue with a cycle of consultation over the coming years.
4th February – P7 Open Night
11th February – S4 Parent Meeting
17th and 18th February – Holiday
19th February – INSET – staff only
20th February – S5/6 Parent Meeting
27th March – Term ends
14th April – Start of summer term
Thank you for your continuing support of the school. During the summer term we will be looking to involve some parents in the planning of our School Improvement Plan for session 2020-21.
Head Teacher – Charleston Academy