Football Updates

Both our Senior Boys Football Team and our Under 14 Boys Football team played away to Kingussie High School last week.

Senior Football

Kingussie High School 3 – 3 Charleston Academy
Charleston picked up another good point away from home in their third game of the senior league campaign. Charleston took a deserved lead after 20 minutes when a good cross from Ross Harrison (S5) on the right wing was volleyed superbly into the net by Ronan Cousins (S6). However Charleston were pegged back after failing to clear a Kingussie corner and the home team equalised just before half time. Shortly after the half time break, Charleston retook the lead when Scott MacIntosh (S4) lashed in a left footed drive past the Kingussie goalkeeper. Again however, Charleston’s defending of a set piece was suspect and Kingussie levelled the tie once again making it 2-2 with a free header from a corner. Charleston appeared to have won all three points with just 10 minutes remaining when Ronan Cousins (S6) did well to work an opening for himself and slot the ball past the goalkeeper for his second goal of the game. However, a last minute penalty from Kingussie ensured that they received a share of the spoils, and Charleston had to settle for a point.
Man of the Match – Ronan Cousins (S6)
18-09-2013-14-48 098924


Mr Ryan Mackintosh, PE Department and Senior Coach


Charleston’s U14s score another 4!

Kingussie High School 2 – 4 Charleston Academy


On Tuesday 17th September Charleston’s U14 football team played their second league fixture of the season.  The game was an away tie versus Kingussie High School.  There were two changes to the team that faced Lochaber last week.  Both Aaron Fraser and Jake Fraser-Lee were in the starting line up to make their first appearance for the U14s.

The boys were in high spirits after their win in Fort William last week and were keen to get the game started.  With both captains calling for centre Kingussie won the call and decided to swap ends.  This meant Charleston had a difficult first half as the sun was now glaring in their eyes.  When the whistle blew for kick off Kingussie started asking questions of our keeper early.  Many balls into the box were high and Aiden MacKenzie in goals did well to collect many challenging balls.  Kingussie were the first to break the deadlock with a goal direct from a free kick on the edge of the box.  Jake was then given the nod to shoot from distance so to try and test the Kingussie keeper.  A few of Jake’s attempts were fizzed wide and then one found its way into the roof of the net.   The score was now 1-1 and Charleston started to show a bit more belief.  The midfield started working well together with Cameron Kent dominating the middle of the park.  Aaron Fraser began to cause the Kingussie defence problems when the referee blew the whistle to end the first half.

A few changes were made at half time as some of the boys looked a little tired after a hard fought first half.  Charleston now had the advantage of sun glaring in the opposing teams faces.  They capitalised on this early into the second half with Jake Fraser-Lee scoring another great goal to give Charleston a 2-1 lead.  The game started to get a little stretched with both defences getting left exposed.  Aiden MacKenzie, in goals, did extremely well at commanding his 18 yard box.  He managed to keep a cool head and come out on top in several one on one situations.  Aaron Fraser was successful with his one on one with the keeper after slotting the ball into the bottom corner of the net.  Aaron’s goal started from him getting body checked and ending up on his backside.  No foul was given and play carried on.  Aaron demonstrated a greater desire to win the ball back and did so only seconds later.  Aaron’s pace took him clear of the back line and face to face with the keeper.  3-1 Charleston.

Iain MacKenzie was playing at right back and was having a great game.  However, with only minutes to go he took a player down in the box.  The referee awarded a penalty and Aiden was unlucky not to keep out the Kingussie effort after getting a hand to the ball.  The score was now 3-2 and left the boys willing for the final whistle.  Charleston continued to press and won a corner for their efforts.  Jake whipped in a curling cross and this was met by Aaron’s head (nose) which then found the back of the net.  4-2 Charleston was the score and the referee ended the game as soon as Kingussie kicked off.

It was another good win for Charleston Acadmey.  With Narin Academy as the next opponents we now have a few things to cover in training.  Man of the match this week was shared between Aiden MacKenzie (2T) for his fantastic efforts in goal and Jake Fraser-Lee (2S2) for his two goals and an assist.

18-09-2013-14-48 09940818-09-2013-14-48 099613


Mr Alex Mezals, Technical Department and U14 Coach

Scroll to Top