Mrs Andrea Gordon (PT Kishorn House)
Mr Ryan MacKintosh (Acting PT Laggan House)
Mrs Heather MacRae (Acting PT Torridon House)
Mrs Geraldine Telford (PT Shiel House)
Personal Development (previously Personal and Social education) is taught by each of our four Principal Teachers of Guidance. Most pupils will see their guidance teacher once per week in PSE classes.
Along with Home Economics and Physical Education, lessons in personal development aim to ensure that young people develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future.
The Personal Development curriculum at Charleston Academy aim to ensure our young people can:
- meet challenges, manage change and build relationships
- experience personal achievement and build their resilience and confidence
- understand and develop their physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing and social skills
- understand how what they eat, how active they are and how decisions they make about their behaviour and relationships affect their physical and mental wellbeing
- participate in a wide range of activities which promote a healthy lifestyle
- speak to a key adult within the school community who will listen to their concerns
- learn about where to find help and resources to inform choices
- assess and manage risk and understand the impact of risk-taking behaviour
- reflect on their strengths and skills and make informed choices when planning their next steps
- acknowledge diversity in all its contexts and understand that it is everyone’s responsibility to challenge discrimination.