Charleston Academy has an active and supportive Parent Council. The Parental Involvement Act (2007) specified the arrangements for parental representation in all Scottish Schools. The official role of Parent Councils is to:
- support the school in its work with pupils
- represent the views of parents
- encourage links between the school, parents, pupils, and the wider community
- report directly to all parents (the Parent Forum)
- have a responsible role in the appointment of headteachers and depute headteachers
- support the school and pupils during school inspections
The Charleston Academy Parent Council is a member of the National Parent Forum of Scotland. Members of our Pupil Council attend Parent Council Meetings and vice-versa, and a teacher representative from Charleston Academy attends all of our Parent Council meetings.
Any member of the Charleston Academy Parent Council can be contacted about whole school issues at any time. They will either raise the matter, in confidence, at the next meeting or, if the issue is urgent, will contact the Chair and / or Rector.
If you wish to raise any matter with the parent council, please feel free to email the Chair directly.
Alternatively, please contact the school who will then put you in touch with the appropriate member:
- Chair: Kate Morris
- Vice Chair: Fiona Alexander
- Treasurer: Urszula Kozak
- Clerk: Maureen Gallie
Education Scotland, the Scottish Government and Highland Council publish online or as PDF, a number of useful resources relating to Parental Involvement: