S2 pupils have recently been taking part in our “Great Scottish Bake Off” competition in the Home Economics Department. This has had a fantastic response and very high standard of baking was produced by pupils.
Each week since Easter S2 pupils have baked independently and competitively creating some fantastic results and finishing techniques. Their work has been marked by guest judges (other teachers) from within the school.
The three pupils in each class receiving the highest points will now go forward to the Bake-Off Final on Friday 30th May. Their challenge, during the course of the morning is to make a Scottish Themed Cake. The following pupils will be taking part:
Morven Carmichael has won the prize for the most creative design for the advertising artwork and for the certificate.
Congratulations to these pupils! There is a great excitement in the department with the finalists fine tuning their designs.
We are delighted to have the privilege of guest judges from our partner organisations in Inverness who will be carefully marking the final cakes to specific criteria. The judges are:
- Harry Gow and David Gow – First Scottish Bakers of the Year in Scotland
- Javier Dominguez – Head Chef at Chez Roux Rocpool Reserve
- Gary Millard – Former pupil and apprentice chef of Albert Roux
- Chris O’Neill – our Headteacher – always willing to sample our baking!
- Lynn Begg – Our auxiliary and one of Scotland’s highest achievers in the SQA Creative Cake Production course.
- Anne Cripps – our librarian who loves to bake cake!
- Steven Tillman – Our Chemist who also loves to eat cake!
There will be prizes for the winners presented by the the Master Baker Mr Harry Gow himself and we are all looking forward to the final on Friday
The recipes developed and used by the pupils are available to download HERE. Good Luck everyone.
Mrs Elaine Bremner and The Home Economics Department